Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University / Kota Open University
The Vardhman Mahaveer Open University (VMOU) was formerly called the Kota Open University which began in the year 1987. The Government of Rajasthan retitled the University through a gazette on 21st September 2002. In Rajasthan, it has developed as a revolutionary organisation that focuses on open education.
The University was created through a merger of two organisations of communications courses, the Institute of Correspondence Studies and Continuing Education in Jaipur and the College of Correspondence Studies in Udaipur.
The University focuses on offering academics to a large number of students, mainly reaching out to the underprivileged, women and in-service individuals who live in unreached and under- developed areas.
- Department of Botany
- Department of English
- Department of Education
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Management
- Department of History
- Department of Economics
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Law
- Department of Hindi
It is a part of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and the Distance Education Council (DEC) in New Delhi. These organisations are accredited by the University. The UGC (University Grants Commission) does not fund VMOU.
The University aims to offer excellence in academics and management while working with several distance learning resources. The university headquarters is located at Kota and its jurisdiction covers the whole state of Rajasthan.
Features of VMOU
- A Simple admission procedure.
- 6 Regional Centres in Ajmer, Bikaner, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota and Udaipur.
- 65 study centres in the state for student support services.
- No upper age limit for admission.
- No ceiling of minimum passing percentage; knowledge of R reading and W writing alone is required for some programmes (e.g. Certificate Course in Food and Nutrition).
- Admissions are conducted twice in a year (January and July).
- Equal opportunity for all. No discrimination.
- Work experience essential for some career oriented programmes (e.g. MBA, B.Ed.).
- No basic qualification required for B.A./B.Com. Preparatory courses go through an informal stream.
- Counselling sessions conducted by a subject expert.
- Study based on the Credit System.
- Fee payable in two instalments. The first instalment is charged at 70% of the fee and is payable with the application form while the second is payable on demand.
- Quality Study Material in the Self Learning Material (SLM) format is made available immediately after the admission from the concerned regional centre. This applies to all the six-month courses and others immediately. They are sent to the residential addresses of the learners in time.
- Study materials are also available as Audio-Video Cassettes.
- Library facilities are available at the University as well as Regional and Study Centres.
- Students registered as ‘Regular’ in Universities & Colleges can join as part time students in selected programs.
VMOU Study Centres
At present Regional Centres are functioning in:
Four types of Study Centres are operating in different parts of the state:
- Regular Study Centres.
- Programme Specific Study Centres. E.g. B.Ed.
- Clientele specific Study Centres. E.g. for women and army.
- Satellite Study Centres for rural and army areas.
The following facilities are available at the study centres:
- Separate reserved space in local educational institutions.
- Limited working hours.
- Part time staff from host institutions.
- Rooms for counselling and examination.
- 86 study centres in different cities in the state. Each study centre is provided with TV, library, audio and facilities. Study centres function on all holidays as well as Sundays and are supervised by the coordinators.
The Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University (VMOU) provides graduate, post graduate, and Ph.D. courses. The system of assessment is based on a 5 point system of grading. General and inter-disciplinary research services can be found in some of the courses.
The following are the regular courses offered by various departments in Kota Open University:
- Bachelor of Arts Preparatory Programme (BAP)
- Bachelor of Arts Programme (Pass Course) (BA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Commerce Preparatory Programme (BCP)
- Bachelor of Commerce Programme (Pass Course) (B.Com)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)
Master Degree Courses
- M. A. Economics (MAEC)
- M. A. Education (MAED)
- M. A. Gandhi and Peace Studies (MAGP)
- M. A. Hindi (MAHD)
- M. A. Political Science (MAPS)
- M. A. Rajasthani (MARJ)
- M. A. Sanskrit (MASA)
- M. A./ M. Sc. Mathematics (MA/Msc.MT)
- M. A./M.Sc. Geography (MAGE/MSc.GE)
- M.A. English (MAEG)
- M.A. History (MAHI)
- M.A. Public Administration (MAPA)
- M.A. Sociology (MASO)
- Master Computer Science (MSc.CS)
- Master of Commerce (MCOM)
- Master of Journalism (Mass Communication) MJ (MC )
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management (PGDHM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Commerce
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Economics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in History
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Library Science
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Management
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Political Science
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Economics (MPEC)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in English (MPEG)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Geography (MPGE)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Hindi (MPHD)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in History (MPHI)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Library and Information Science (MPLS)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Political Science (MPPS)
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Sanskrit (MPSA)
PG Diploma Courses
- PG Diploma in Computer Accounting and Audit (PGDCAA)
- PG Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA)
- PG Diploma in Environment and Sustainable Development (PGDESD)
- PG Diploma in Gandhian Non-Violent Conflict Resolution (PGDGN)
- PG Diploma in Labour Laws, Industrial Relations and Personnel Management (PGDLL)
- PG Diploma in Tourism and Hotel Management (PGDTH)
- PG Diploma in Water Resource Management (PGDWR)
- Certificate in AIDS and Family Education (CAFE)
- Certificate in Apabhransha Language (CAL)
- Certificate in Application Software and Web Designing (CAWD)
- Certificate in Awareness of Gandhian Method (CPGM)
- Certificate in Computer Accounting (CCA)
- Certificate in Computer Networking and Internet (CCNI)
- Certificate in Computing (CIC)
- Certificate in Culture and Tourism (CCT)
- Certificate in Disaster Management (CDM)
- Certificate in Distance Education (CDE)
- Certificate in Food and Nutrition (CFN)
- Certificate in Functional English (CFE)
- Certificate in Functional Rajasthani (CFR)
- Certificate in Legal Awareness for Women (CLAW)
- Certificate in Mahatma Gandhi NREGA Mate (CPNM)
- Certificate in Obstetrics Assistance (COA)
- Certificate in Osteopathy (COS)
- Certificate in Panchayati Raj Project (CPRP)
- Certificate in Prakrit Language (CPL)
- Certificate in Programming in C++ and Java (CPCJ)
- Certificate in Rajasthani Language and Culture (CRLC)
- Certificate in Salesmanship and Marketing (CSM)
- Certificate in Tourist Guidance (CTG)
- Certificate in VB and Dot net (CPVB)
- Computer Awareness and Training Programme for Beginners (CTB)
- Diploma in Accounting Management (DAM)
- Diploma in Computer Accounting (DCA)
- Diploma in Computer in Office Management (DCOM)
- Diploma in Culture and Tourism (DCT)
- Diploma in Library and Information Science (DLIS)
- Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education (DNHE)
- Diploma in Poultry Management (DPM)
- Diploma in Social Problems of Rajasthan (DSPR)
- Diploma in Tourism Management (DTM)
- Diploma in Watershed Management (DWSM)
Address: Kota Open University
RawatBhata Road, Akhelgarh,
Kota-324010, Rajasthan, India
Fax: 744 - 421769
Tel : 0744 2472911, 2472912
Tel: 0744 426971(O) 430200(R)
Fax: 426451, 431525